In news of the incredibly stupid, the City of Bozeman Montana requires all job applicants to
“Please list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.,”
so they can perform a background check on your internet activities, to ensure only those with the highest Moral character are hired. My response to that would be to list ACLU.org on line one with their telephone number as my password. I guess the city lawyer never considered:
- That the only branch of the government that has been able to pull such a thing is the NSA because of the high secrecy involved with the job. (They even get access to “sealed” court records). I am highly doubtful that you’ll be able to claim state secrets for any job in Bozeman.
- Access to someones personal accounts, like myspace, gives you access tp all their “friends” Private access areas as well so its not just the applicants privacy we are talking about.
- On that same note, business accounts can give you access to my partners information, as well as all my clients. You never know when something like HIPAA might come into play.
- As we have seen with the myspace case over the death of Megan Meier its a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to the Terms of Service agreement with sites such as myspace. That by itself opens a big can of worms for the City of Bozeman as the TOS for all sites say you are in violation if you give your password to anyone, or allow anyone to access your account.
- All of the above can be avoided by simply setting up a Bozeman page on the popular sites, like myspace, and simply requiring that the employee “friends” the city so you can see their page without access to everyone elses info.
What else can i say but, this is what happens when morons are put into government.
Raw video of an interview with the City Lawyer is available on the first link.
Share this post: