Got a Blog or other personal website? Did you have google ads in the margin? Do you live within the jurisdiction of the City of Philadelphia? That will be $300 for your business privilege license.

Philly like most cities today are short on money to fund their pet projects and are looking for new avenues to generate revenue. So the city council has decided to send notices to bloggers who claimed any revenue from their website on their tax returns. As they made money from their blog it must be a business and so they must pay for a business license.

So here’s where bloggers like Sean Barry get upset. He has made a total of $11 over two years off the ads on his blog. He got a $300 bill from the City for not having a business license.

After dutifully reporting even the smallest profits on their tax filings this year, a number — though no one knows exactly what that number is — of Philadelphia bloggers were dispatched letters informing them that they owe $300 for a privilege license, plus taxes on any profits they made.

The Moral of the Story Kiddies: Never claim income that is not already listed on your W-2.

Share this post: