Welcome to the latest Release Week Primer. Here you will get a short description and when available, a trailer of the games released this week. The majority of the release dates and descriptions are based on press releases given by the publishers.
Mass Effect 2
Originally released on the Xbox 360, the story of Commander Shepard has finally come to the PS3. Check out our review of the X360 version to see what the game has in store for you.
The Mysterious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
This thrilling mystery and hidden object game takes you to the streets of London in 1886. The murder of a prosperous citizen with a faultless reputation is posing puzzling questions. Why did he have to die? Who is responsible for this crime? There has been fearful whispers of a grotesque human monster prowling the shadowy alleys of the Soho district. Who is this creature and are they connected to the crime?
Step into the role of Inspector Newcomen & with the help of your good friend Dr Jekyll you work together to solve this mysterious case through multiple scenarios. Throughout your investigation you will have to complete over 30 exciting mini-games: collect fingerprints, examine your findings, navigate your way through all the twist & turns of the story and solve the crime.
[flashvideo file=https://the-games-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dr_jekyll_and_mr_hyde_trailer-DS.flv width=545 height=307 /]
PC, PS3, X360
A new era. Sophisticated and complex technologies are now contributing to the advancements of mankind. However, the world’s governments are crumbling, new corrupt powers arise and conspiracies proliferate. The truth behind the proscribed technology could destroy the very core of humanity. Join a rogue team of agents as they fight for survival and entangle themselves deeper into the mystery.
MINDJACK offers a unique online experience. Expand your mind’s reach by “hacking” into enemies, vehicles or civilians and enjoy the freedom to control almost any character. Each bystander becomes an active combatant in this new urban warfare.
Your “state of mind” is your only limitation!
- Assume the role of a Mind Hacker hacking into and controlling the minds of enemies to turn the tide of battle.
- Acquire XP to expand your hacker’s Arts abilities. Increase a character’s strength or improve your hit-rate – players can strategise according to their combat style.
- Hack or be hacked! Players can slowly alter their gaming universe – or have it altered by other online players – one hack at a time.
- Utilize futuristic weapons and real fighting techniques, like Krav Maga, in your virtual playground.
[flashvideo file=https://the-games-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Mind-Jack-Trailer.flv width=545 height=307 /]
Sackboy’s Prehistoric Moves
The latest DLC for the popular Little Big Planet. Originally developed as a tech demo for Sony’s PS Move capabilities, Sackboy’s Prehistoric Moves features six levels and a smattering of minigames.
Plants vs Zombies
Already a big hit on PC, MAC, and Xbox Live, this indie hit is now available for your Nintendo DS system.
Featuring five different modes of play, Plants vs. Zombies presents you with a front lawn and encroaching zombies striving to reach your front door and defeat you. Choose from an ever-increasing assortment of specialized, zombie-battling plants to slow down, confuse, weaken and ultimately destroy the vegetation-munching undead before they can traverse your yard and reach your front door. Thoughtful selection of plants, judicious use of resources and clever planting/placement decisions are key to overcoming more than two dozen different kinds of zombies, each with its own combination of “skills” and behaviors. Additional obstacles and challenges in later levels include the setting of the sun, a creeping fog that obscures part of your view – even a swimming pool that takes up much of your lawn.
Features of Plants vs. Zombies include:
• Five different modes of play: Adventure, Survival, Puzzle, Zen Garden and Mini-Game Challenges
• 50 levels in the main Adventure mode and more than 50 more in the other game modes, with limitless replayability
• More than four dozen plants, from cherry bombs and peashooters to melon-pults, wall-nuts and sunflowers
• Dozens of different zombie types, including back-from-the-dead miners, businessmen, football players, even a zombie bobsled team!
• Suburban almanac tracks your progress and provides vital stats on plant and zombie types
• Crazy Dave’s trunk-o’-the-car shop where you can purchase special “power plants” and other zombie-exterminating tools as well as potted versions for your Zen Garden
• New fluid animation technology for prettier plants and zippier zombies
• 14 original musical pieces that dynamically adjust to the intensity of the game in real time
[flashvideo file=https://the-games-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Plant-vs-Zobies-trailer.flv width=545 height=307 /]
Little Big Planet 2
- PLAY, CREATE, SHARE – The LittleBigPlanet franchise continues to bring its revolutionary PLAY, CREATE, SHARE concept and the most accessible design tools to the videogame industry. There are brand new developer and user-generated levels to explore and PLAY, a huge host of materials, tools, stickers, and more to CREATE, and a robust set of online features for the community to SHARE with each other via PlayStation Network. In LittleBigPlanet 2, the world is full of infinite possibilities, where imagination becomes reality and the powers of creation are firmly in the players’ hands.
- Core Gameplay – The experience starts with players customizing Sackboy, the stitched-together main character in LittleBigPlanet 2. From there, players learn how Sackboy interacts physically with the surrounding environment in Story Mode. Players are tasked with making their way across LittleBigPlanet 2 to discover all the quirky, wonderful, and colorful landscapes, while solving puzzles and collecting items that can be used to CREATE games.
- Customized Experience – Whether the player is a fashion designer, an architect, or aspiring video game developer, they can show their talents off with the easy-to-use creation tools to build unique levels/games that can be used as a presentation, an in-game fashion show, a photo album, or a creative homage to your pet. In this stylish and stitched-together 3D craft material world, there is fun to be had for all ages, tastes, and player type.
- Endless Gaming Experience – With more than 2.5 million user generated levels published for LittleBigPlanet on the PlayStation Network, fans will never run out of exciting environments to explore. And there’s no telling how many new games will joins these levels online once LittleBigPlanet 2 launches!
- More Than 40 New Story Levels Across Six Themes – Everything in LittleBigPlanet 2 is influenced by cultural high points in history providing an artistically reworked canvas for Sackboy to explore. All of the new levels and territories to PLAY fuse different historical ideas together to create fresh aesthetics that populate this new world, with themes including: Techno Renaissance, Steampunk and Cake, Neon Propaganda, Fluffy High-Tech, Designer Organic, and Hand-made Arcade.
- Four-Player Offline/Online Multiplayer – New game/scoring modes allow players to include, scoreboards, and other elements in their creations to advance the types of games possible for a four-player social/competitive multiplayer experience, including puzzle, racing/sports, and action/adventure games. Players can also make Sack-buddies with other players across the world while they PLAY, CREATE, and SHARE together online.
- New Gadgets – Along his adventure, Sackboy will have new tools and equipment to aid him on his journey, including a Grapple Hook for swinging across large gaps and pulling small objects towards you, Power Gloves for picking things up and throwing them, and a customizable Creatinator for Sackboy to carry that spews out anything a creator desires.
- CREATE Full-Scale Games – Evolved CREATE tools allow users to not only make better levels, but completely new games. Featuring new Controlinator abilities, players can reset the controller buttons for any object and change the rules to any level. Your vehicles and creations can behave exactly the way you want them to. LittleBigPlanet 2 can become your own handmade arcade to CREATE games across multiple genres— imagine racing games, flying games, shooters, puzzle games, sports, action/adventure, and more—anything you can image, you can CREATE.
- A.I. Sackbots – Customizable Sackbots (non player Sackboys) are interactive, programmable non player characters that bring the game to life. Customize sizing and clothing for each individual or group of Sackbots, place them in your game creations or cut-scenes, dress them up, choose different behavior patterns (make them mean or friendly, safe or dangerous), and even record your own voiceovers and/or actions for them to perform.
- Cinematic Cut-Scene Maker – A new camera system, along with cinematic tools makes it easy to CREATE full cut-scenes, whether as stand-alone movies or cut-sequences in levels, for a more immersive and narrative experience to PLAY. You now have full control over camera position, movement (including tilt, zoom and shake), transitions, and timings, as well as the ability record full voice-overs for Sackboys and Sackbots that can be used in music videos, short films or even entire movies.
- New CREATE Materials – Players will have new base materials with a selection of Filters, dangerous Plasma to add to fire and electricity, Electrical Neon that can change color with a switch, and Holographic material to make your own HUDS, all added to the infinite amount of stickers, decorations, materials (glass, metal, sponge, polystyrene, cardboard, and rubber), bolts (springs, motor, and wobble bolts), and rods to choose from while you CREATE.
- New CREATE Tools – Multiple new gadgets are at your disposal, including a Level Link Badge to jump from level to level by simply placing a badge without going back to the ‘Pod,’ Global Gravity to change the effects of gravity within the whole scene, Bounce Pads to launch Sackboys and Sackbots in the air, a Smoke Machine for a smoke releasing effect, and Circuit Boards which enable creators to layout complex logic connections onto a single chip. No longer do creators have to conceal complex tangles of logic strings behind curtains, they can now simply add to a Circuit Board and hide it away. Circuit Boards can also be used to control the behavior of Sackbots.
- Stunning Visuals – LittleBigPlanet 2 utilizing a revamped graphics engine and state-of-the-art visual technologies to showcase Sackboy and his new world better than ever. Players will also be able to access the more than two million user-created levels from the original LittleBigPlanet, all which will shine due to the newly enhanced graphics engine.
- SHARE Easier – An enhanced SHARE experience will have gamers spending less time searching and more time playing the millions of levels and games created by fans around the world. With the unveil of LBP.me, a social networking website, every published online game/level will get its own webpage, so users can search/find creations while online at home/work, mark them, and have these favorites queued up and ready to PLAY when you return to your PS3 and sign onto PlayStation Network. Users will also be able keep an eye on what games/levels your friends are playing via activity steams, as well as link levels together to provide longer gameplay experiences without the breakup of going back to the ‘Pod.’
- Backwards Compatible – LittleBigPlanet 2 players can enjoy the more than two million online community levels created with the original game, levels that will look even better when seen through our revamped graphics engine. All purchased and earned downloadable content from LittleBigPlanet can be used as well.
- Move Demo – LittleBigPlanet 2 will include a standalone, 10 level demo that supports PlayStation®Move.
- Trophy Support – LittleBigPlanet 2 supports a host of fun and challenging trophies to collect along the way.
[flashvideo file=https://the-games-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/little-big-planet-2_adventure_trailer.flv width=545 height=307 /]
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Meet Edna and Harvey, two of the most unruly patients to visit Dr. Marcel’s asylum in a long time. Edna is a young girl looking to recover her lost memory and escape from the clutches of the hospital and its staff. Harvey is Edna’s stuffed-pet rabbit. Together they’ll travel through the hallways and into the locked rooms of the asylum, looking for answers and a way out. They’ll meet strange people who’ll help them in their escape and offer comic relief when things seem to get a little too sane. And remember, you don’t have to be crazy to play this game. (But it helps.)
Share this post: